People of Nashville
The Great Commission commands us to go and make disciples of all nations. The Greek word for nations here is ethne - meaning people group. God wants to see all people groups represented in eternity with Him.
God has brought people groups to us here in the Nashville area. Below are just a few of the people groups that have become our neighbors. If your church is interested in the process of adopting and engaging a people group here are some things that you as a church can do.
1. Do an in-depth study of your selected people group. Learn their customs, cultures and beliefs. You may contact Church Planter/People Group Specialist Lewis McMullen, or Executive Director Rusty Sumrall and we can assist you in developing resources for this study.
2. Do a cultural emersion trip with your people group. Shop where they shop, eat where they eat and visit their places of worship. The Nashville Baptist Association office can assist your church in doing this.
3. Begin to pray for your people group. Pray for the people and pray for individuals that you know within that people group. Pray for their needs especially their need for Christ. Prayer walk the areas in which your people group live, work and play.
4. Find opportunities to volunteer with your people group. Look at some of the physical needs of the people group and go about meeting those needs.
5. Work on building trust and developing genuine relationships. Learn their language. Develop an understanding of their culture and beliefs.
6. Look for opportunities to help your people group adjust to live in the United States. Consider providing ESL classes for adults or after school tutoring for children.
7. As time progresses in your relationships with the people group, look for ways to integrate your faith into this process. In sharing about yourself your faith should be a natural part of the conversation. As you conduct an ESL class or tutoring, think about using Christian materials that are in English and their native language.
8. Be patient and pray continually. Remember, this is a process. It takes time. Not in your time but God’s time.
People Groups of Nashville
5. Chin Haka
12. Mexican: we have identified several different Indian dialects among this group
18. Coptic Egyptians: They are Orthodox but believe in works salvation
20. Somali Bantu
29. Chinese Mandarin
30. Chinese Cantonese Mainland
31. Chinese Han Mainland
32. Hong Kong
41. Saudi Arabian
43. Congolese Swahili
45. Russian Jews
49. French Canadian
55. Ethiopian: Amharic
63. Trinidad and Tobago
64. Dutch Speaking: Netherlands and Indies Islands
65. South African: Afrikaans, English and Dutch Speaking
66. Puerto Rican
73. Karenni (Red Karen)
74. Zanniat Chin
75. Ngwan Chin
76. Asho Chin
77. Tiddin Chin
78. Daii Chin
82. Anatolian Turks
89. Sierra Leone
*If you have any information on additional people groups in the Nashville area please let us know at email@example.com*